Head of Research: Lean Management
Khavitha Singh is currently a Director at Khelp Associates- a consulting company focusing on Operations Management, Continuous Improvement and Problem Solving. She is also a co-founder of Moja Leadership- a start up fast tracking depth of leadership through experience-based learning opportunities.
Moja Leadership also provides relevant current content from the World Economic Forum- Young Global Leaders around the world.
She has recently joined the Toyota Wessels Institute for Manufacturing Studies (TWIMS) in Durban as Head of Lean Management. She will teach on the Lean in Supply Chain and Advanced Operations Management short courses and electives, as well as coach/supervise on the Gordon Institute of Business Science, formal academic programmes at TWIMS.
She has extensive experience in the Pharmaceutical, Oil & Gas and Logistics industries within Operations, Continuous Improvement, Strategic Projects and Leadership Capability development space in South Africa, Mozambique and Germany. During her career she has been employed by Aspen Pharmacare, Johnson & Johnson, BP South Africa and Barloworld Nike CSC in various roles.
She has also been a Lean coach for the Lean Institute Africa. In addition, she as has also served on the University of Cape Town – Graduate School of Business (UCT- GSB) – MBA Admission board as an alumnus.
Phone: +27 (0)31 767 5202
Khavitha has an MBA from UCT GSB, Advanced leadership qualification from NMMU Business School and a B. Pharm from Rhodes University. Her MBA thesis, titled Empowered Powerlessness in Production Environments was published in the Indian Effective Education Leadership journal- Volume XXI in 2018. She has passions for leadership development and a particular interest in diversity and inclusivity in the corporate world as well as successful lean transformation journeys in the corporate space.
- Master of Business Administration
Published research (articles/ conference papers/ book chapters/ books):
- Empowered Powerlessness in Production Environments– Effective Executive; Hyderabad Vol. 21, Iss. 2, (Jun 2018)- Co- Authored with Prof Kurt April
Consulting work within the leadership development and workplace transformation areas as follows:
- Workplace/Shop Floor Design Support
- This includes KPI Management, Shift Handovers, Work Schedules, Work Preparation, Shop floor Execution, Problem Solving and Continuous Improvement, Capability Development
- Problem Solving & Continuous Improvement
- Using an array of Operations Best Practices, Lean Training and Coaching Approaches (A3, 3S Model, 5S, Fish Bone Analysis, Visual Management, Escalation and Communication Methods amongst others)
- Operationalizing/Rationalizing a New Facility/Business Unit
- Includes (amongst others) Value stream mapping, Capacity modelling, SOP Development, Validation, Technology Transfer, Design review, System Introductions and Developing teams
- Coaching on Kaizen Events using Lean Methodology and thinking
- Development engagements with mid to senior management levels together with a community of experienced leaders in business, via the following platforms:
- Coaching Programs
- Master Class Sessions (Topics vary but include Image and Profile, Ethical Business, Inclusion Cultures)
- Bespoke Company Programs
Clients vary and included listed organizations like RMB, Imperial Logistics, Goldfield Logistics and Adcock Ingram as well as medium sized companies, educational institutions and NGO’s.
Featured in CCI GrowthCon On tracc Article- Volume 1, 2009 for successfully improving business unit KPI.
Selected as BP Global Future Leader Candidate for African Operations in 2014
Lead various key successful transformation journeys using lean thinking at different levels in various organizations
Various guest lecturing and speaking opportunities on lean transformation and inclusivity elements within supply chain environments
Served on UCT(GSB) MBA Admission Board