TWIMS Manufacturing Ambassador Scholarship
The Toyota Wessels Institute for Manufacturing Studies (TWIMS) was established in 2018 with a single vision: An industrialised Africa built on world class manufacturing capabilities. To realise this vision TWIMS has partnered with the Gordon Institute of Business Science (GIBS) to offer the GIBS MBA (manufacturing focus). This prestigious qualification is delivered exclusively at TWIMS’ state-of-the-art campus in Kloof, Durban.
TWIMS is acutely aware of the complex operating environment facing South African based manufacturers and acknowledges that many deserving individuals are unable to pursue the GIBS MBA (manufacturing focus) due to financial constraints. In response to this challenge, TWIMS is honoured to announce that it is now able to offer such individuals the opportunity to apply for the TWIMS Manufacturing Ambassador Scholarship. As the result of a generous endowment from the Toyota South Africa Educational Trust, TWIMS will be able to fund up to ten Manufacturing Ambassador scholarships annually from 2020. The scholarships will cover up to 90% of student tuition and global module expenses; and all residency costs at TWIMS during block release and exam periods.
Ambassador Scholarship qualification criteria
The TWIMS Manufacturing Ambassador Scholarships are open to all South Africans’ interested in manufacturing or related industries. TWIMS Manufacturing Ambassador Scholarships will only be granted to fully deserving candidates of exceptional talent, and with a demonstrated, deep commitment to African industrialisation. Scholarship recipients will be required to adhere to the highest ethical standards over the duration of their studies and operate as “goodwill” ambassadors of both TWIMS and the GIBS MBA (manufacturing focus). Scholarship recipients will need to sign a scholarship contract indicating their adherence to scholarship rules and associated obligations.
Prospective scholarship students will need to complete a dual application process.
1. Prospective students must first apply to GIBS for admission to the MBA (manufacturing focus). This process is completely independent of TWIMS. The cost of application is entirely for the applicant’s own account and will not be reimbursed by TWIMS. The application is therefore entirely at the risk of the prospective student.
2. Once prospective students have applied to GIBS for entry into the MBA (manufacturing focus) they must complete the TWIMS Ambassador Scholarship application process. This will be done via the TWIMS Ambassador Scholarship portal here
3. The application process requires the submission of the following documents:
- A curriculum vitae, including details of outreach and volunteer work (maximum of two pages)
- A motivational letter, indicating why the scholarship has been applied for (500 words)
- An industrialisation essay, explaining the importance of industrial development to Sub-Saharan Africa, and the role of management in leading industrialisation (1,000 words)
Apply for the Scholarship
Please note that TWIMS will not accept emailed or physical scholarship applications. Any applications delivered outside of the online scholarship portal will be discarded immediately.