Re-Industrialization and Industrial policy: Challenges and Prospects
The seminar discussed South Africa’s re-industrialisation imperative. It emphasised the continued importance of manufacturing to South Africa’s developmental challenges. South Africa’s post-apartheid industrial performance and obstacles to more impactful industrial policy interventions was discussed. Prospects for an industrial revival under the New Dawn was canvassed including the unfolding sector masterplans process.
About the Presenter
Dr. Nimrod Zalk is an Industrial Development Advisor at the South African Department of Trade and Industry (DTI). Prior to this, he was Deputy Director-General of the Industrial Development Division (IDD) of the DTI.
He sits on the board of the South African Industrial Development Corporation (IDC), chairs the steering committee of the Industrial Development Think Tank (ITT) at the University of Johannesburg, and sits on the board of research institution Trade and Industrial Policy Strategies (TIPS).
He holds an MSC in Economics (with reference to Africa) and a PhD in Economics from the University of London’s School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS).
He has been involved in a range of processes related to South African and African industrial development including:
- Development and implementation of South Africa’s National Industrial Policy Framework (NIPF) and Industrial Policy Action Plans (IPAP)
- Design and implementation of key industrial policy initiatives including various sector strategies, industrial financing instruments, and leveraging procurement for industrial development.
- Development of the DTI’s sector strategy methodology
- The African Programme for Rethinking Development Economics (APORDE)
- The South African Renewables Initiative (SARi)
- Measures to deal with monopolistic behavior in the South African economy
- Professor Joseph Stiglitz’s Initiative for Policy Dialogue (IPD): Africa Task Force
He has authored book chapters, papers and opinion pieces on a range of topics including:
- Industrial and agricultural development and policy
- Competition and competitiveness
- Regional economic development and integration
He has delivered lectures on industrial development and policy at a range of academic institutions.